Thursday, July 14, 2011

Project Update

I suppose that recharging the batteries was the right idea, because it works now.  However, there are a few things to remember to fix in the final version:
  • The attachment on the touch sensor that contacts the coin tends to get stuck on the "holding tank" if it is not in the perfect position.  Possibly, I could fix this using a troubleshooting part of the program?  Must make the entire money manipulating mechanism easy to access.
  • The connecting ramp between the coin detecting and coin dispensing modules is not steep enough.
  • The place where the coins come out is very hard to get to.  Must make ramp that connects to front of machine.
  • There is no ramp for the coin return.
  • The "walls" that hold the coins in their stacks jump over the wheel that dispenses the coin.  (I don't think that it is harming it, however)
  • No bill feeder or bill reader
  • Coin dispensing motor is not electrically run
As you might notice, most of these will likely be able to be remedied without much brainwork.  The bill reader/feeder may never be built.  However, I think that I am done with it for now.  I think that I will be able to fix these problems in the final version.

On a different note, I had an idea for the product dispensing mechanism.  If I do not implement the bill feeder (which have been considering not to implement for a white now) then I can spare two motors for the product dispensing mechanism and use only two NXT Intelligent Bricks without my RCX or Power Functions.  And how would I be able to use two motors?  Well, using a mechanism inspired by here, I can run four functions in forward only off of two motors.  And not having backwards is not detrimental since the products need only to be dispensed by the machine, not taken back in by it since I'm planning to load it from the top or front.